Saturday, June 20, 2009

Can you Baseball or Dragon Boat in French?

Yesterday I blogged about some events happening around town and today I attended three of the best ones in Vancouver.

The Dragon Boat Festival featured tons of food, games, information booths...and boat racing. I won a shirt and got my face on a button courtesy of raiseyourhand.com. There were limited food selections and fewer tents but I enjoyed the race. I also ran into the editor of rabble.ca and co-chair of stopwar.ca, Derrick O'Keefe.



I also enjoyed Francophone celebrations at Vancouver`s Festival d'été. Thanks to some friends at Le Centre Culturel, I was able to enjoy a complimentary entrance to the festival and the show La petite fille aux Allumetters (The Little Match Seller) and was impressed by the performance. After the performance we were entertained by clowns, singers and one performer who was a jack of all trades who juggled, squeezed himself through a tennis racket and ran around blowing bubbles. Best of all it was in French, our other official language. I even learned how to say, "Je veux voler un cerf-volant"? I was also lucky enough to run into the Olympic mascots, Sumi, Quatchi, and Miga. The Festival runs until June 24th, so check them out if you can.




I finished off the day by attending the hottest ticket in town: the sold out Vancouver Canadians (also known as the C's) season opener. It was crazy at Nat Bailey Stadium. People had scribbled signs saying " Looking for tickets" and others were begging to be let in. When I finally got to my seat I discovered that we were sitting next to a professional recorder who was putting K's up on the rail. The seats were also great as they were very easy to jump in and out of. There were also some funny old ladies behind us yelling, "Mucho beuno!" every time the batter named Sosa came to bat. Although the C's lost 10-1, the C's gave everyone in the stand a burger and root beer from A&W. On another positive note, I met Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson, who was there to throw the first pitch of the game and then saw the night come to an end with some great fireworks.


1 comment: