Thursday, January 21, 2010

You look good....are you new?

Vancouver just got a little bit greener ... sort of. The much anticipated Olympic Line opened today just outside of the Canada Line Olympic Village station. The last time Vancouver had a functioning streetcar was 1958. The trams will operate 18 hours a day, seven days a week during the Olympic and Paralympic period between Granville Island and the Vancouver Athletes Village.

I first talked about the Bombardier "Flexity" light rail trams in October and could not wait to ride them at that time. Today I was one of the first Vancouverites to get the chance to do so.

Athletes signed autographs on mini-streetcars. The Olympic Mascots (Quatchi, Sumi, Miga)
showed up and got the crowd excited.
There were also performers.
City staff were there too. They counted people
for each ride and distributed certificates.
By the way,
did you know that 170 people fit per ride?
and that each ride takes only 6 minutes.

I was 130th in line.
However the story does not end there.
I could not believe how many reporters
were at the opening.
However, what really impressed me the most was the quality.
Leather handles and chairs + great design.
I am certain the old ones looked nothing like the Flexity.
At the end of the ride,
I was very pleased
by the experience.

I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment