Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Vanouver 2010 Winter Olympics: Day 5 - Curling and Hockey

First day of women’s curling round robin and I had tickets. I was there to see Team Canada play however there were four games happening at the same time. I was not prepared to see 4 games simultaneously but once I got used to it, it was so much fun.

2010 Vancouver Olympics Culing and Bagpipers

I had never been to a curling game but had seen it on TV and thought i knew the game. However, I met Cathy from Kamloops who was a real fan and she taught me a whole bunch of new terminology. For example, there are ten "ends" in a game, like nine "innings" in baseball and a "hog line violation" which just means you have to let go of the rock before a certain line, the hog line, or you will loose points. Cathy was so into the game and was telling me about different strategies and point possibilities. It was all very interesting. I never knew there was so much to curling.

2010 Vancouver Olympics Culing Fans at Vancouver Olympic Centre

Cathy would also be part of the judging team for the Olympics starting on Day 6 so I could tell she was excited to have been selected to volunteer.

2010 Vancouver Olympics Culing Women Players at Vancouver Olympic Centre

At the end of the game Team Canada won against Switzerland, 5-4, so I was glad to have witnessed Canada get off to a good start. After I left the curling game, I rushed to go see the Men's Hockey, Canada vs Norway, which had started and was delighted at the end of that game too since Canada won in Hockey too.

No comments:

Post a Comment